15 July 2016

LA: The Pie Hole



Obviously these reviews are not in any particular chronological order; I've got about a half-dozen in the works, but whinging about the standards gets old quick. So now for something completely different.

I started with a whole Chicken Cornbread Pot Pie and a slice of Bluebarb Pie- this is what I've got left. And, yes, I'm going to put that in my belly, just as soon as I can make some space. I've found since landing that I have "a small stomach", which mostly means that I recognise that I feel full and stop eating. I have not regretted this until now.

Actually, I've been walking around with an obnoxious "holier-than-thou" attitude for the past few weeks. I definitely see eating as an enjoyable pasttime, but hadn't felt like American food was really good enough to warrant sheer *amount* of eating that most Americans seem to do. And mostly, I still agree with this-- but wow, Los Angeles knows how to make good food. And if I were going to die on a mountain, that mountain would be made of chicken cornbread pot pie.



Texture: like a cloud of nostalgia. A soft, fluffy, flavorful cornbread that you've always thought it was in your childhood, ignoring that cornbread actually tends to be dry and tasteless.

The blueberry and rhubarb filling has soaked into the crust, so you don't get the separation issue of most commercial pies. The filling is chunky, not blended, but the fruits are soft enough to melt on your tongue.

Taste: Red pepper brightens the pot pie and elevates the flavour from the bland "Classic Americana" recipe that bloggers so like to recreate from 1950s housekeeping magazines. I've also seen this done to mac and cheese, adding spice without advertising a "spicy" dish and I think it's a really positive evolution in American cuisine.

On the Blubarb Pie: if you've ever hated the sickly sweet grocery store pies, if you've ever thought that rhubarb *could* be great, even if you'd never seen it in action, this is the pie for you. If that sounds absurd and weird, this is also the pie for you. This is a pie to unite humanity. Let's give the world a pie.

Conclusion: Five of Five Americas. Go get yourself some Pie Hole.





No comments:

Post a Comment