04 July 2016

Schlotzky's Original Sandwich and Salt and Vinegar Chips

Schlotzky's Original Sandwich and Salt & Vinegar Chips



I was up at 3AM to catch an early flight and if you've ever flown at the asscrack of dawn, you know that you don't get up *even earlier* to eat breakfast. By 5AM, my stomach was rumbling like a freight train. But do you know what magic happens at 5AM in the LA Ontario Airport?** Schlotzky's opens.

Now, this is a proper American sandwich. It has all the things I've missed about sandwiches: mustard, tomato treated as a vegetable, savoury bread. I couldn't tell straight away whether there was mayo on it, which, by the way China, IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

It had warm, melty mozzarella on the top bun, but I could have asked for it sans-cheese and it still would have been delicious. It's basically a lovely layer cake of bread, meat and fresh veggies that you won't want to stop putting in your face.

But I did stop, because here's the problem I noticed: this is a sandwich for two. Or possibly three. I was definitely hungry, but I didn't even touch the second half, or the chips, at breakfast. What the hell, America? I'm not going to shame anybody on caloric intake; I'm the girl that goes for the second bowl of gyoza. But why is the standard size, the *smallest* size, enough for two and a half meals?

[Four Hours Later]



I'm trying to figure out what's so good: I think it's the combination of mustard, red onion and black olives. Mm, and there's cheddar at the bottom. Not as good cool, but still very nice.

And the salt and vinegar chips - not something that's super available in other countries. I've missed the tang that hits the back of your throat and floods up your sinuses like wasabi. I'm definitely not going to finish all of them, though. TOO MUCH FOOD.

Serving Recommendation: Tuck some chips inside the sandwich and serve with airplane ginger ale.

Conclusion: Delicious, but huge. Bring a friend or intestinal parasite to help you finish it.

4 of 5 Americas.

**I'm doing food reviews, not airport reviews, but I highly recommend Ontario. It's small, easy to get through and (as far as I could tell) pretty convenient to get to from the centre of LA.



No comments:

Post a Comment